This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.108 / 51°6'28"N
Longitude: -3.6494 / 3°38'57"W
OS Eastings: 284628
OS Northings: 135595
OS Grid: SS846355
Mapcode National: GBR L9.BF98
Mapcode Global: VH5KF.PDLY
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 6 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265578
Location: Withypool and Hawkridge, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Withypool and Hawkridge
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS83NW WITHYPOOL CP WITHYPOOL VILLAGE
12/163 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Late medieval, tower rebuilt early C17, restored and refitted 1887, restored extensively and tower
rebuilt again 1902, latter work by W H Farings. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge
tiles. Chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle, west tower. Crenellated 2-stage west tower, diagonal buttresse to first
stage, datestone of 1902 on south east face of south west buttress, early medieval carved stone with part of a cross
set into north west buttress, north east stair turret to first stage, string course, single semi-circular headed
louvred bell openings, 2-light west window, chamfered semi-circular headed west doorway with weatherworn stone to north
referring to C17 rebuilding of tower; south front buttress between tower and nave, single storey gabled porch,
semi-circular headed openings and C19 inner door, nave 3-light mullioned window, 2-light to chancel, 3-light east
window, 3-light east end of north aisle, one 3-light window on north front. Interior: rendered. C19 roofs, archbraced
to aisle, kingpost in nave. Moulded semi-circular tower arch with unusual, possibly C17, pilasters carrying imposts on
jambs, closed by panelling, possibly C18. Three bay Perpendicular arcade with pointed, hollow moulded arches and thin
imposts. C18 panelling at north end of aisle forming vestry. Norman font, fluted bowl with chevron moulded rim.
Fittings of 1887. Aumbry in chancel wall c1970. Slate tablet to Dorothy Adams, died 1804. The living is a chapelry
annexed to the rectory of Hawkridge. Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).
Listing NGR: SS8462835595
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings