History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brompton Regis, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0899 / 51°5'23"N

Longitude: -3.448 / 3°26'52"W

OS Eastings: 298689

OS Northings: 133280

OS Grid: SS986332

Mapcode National: GBR LK.CQB3

Mapcode Global: FRA 36N7.QJW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 6 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265622

Location: Brompton Regis, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Brompton Regis

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Treborough

Listing Text


SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CP

WITHIEL FLOREY

4/34 Church of St Mary Magdalene

6.4.59

GV II

Parish church. C12 in origin, C15 nave lengthened, tower and porch added, 1848 vestry added. Roughcast over flat bedded
lias, red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, plain verges. West tower without stair turret, 2-bay nave with rood stair
projection, south porch, 2-storey vestry with access to pulpit, single storey vestry opening out of chancel and
containing organ, 2-bay chancel. Crenellated 2-stage diagonally buttressed tower, string courses, west front lit only
by C19 3-light west window, north front 2-light trefoil headed louvred bell-opening, south front 2 small rectangular
openings in upper stage, other openings possibly concealed beneath roughcast, 2-light window left of gabled single
storey porch, pointed arch opening with C19 corbelled and ribbed inner arch, plastered barrel vault with moulded ribs,
bosses and wallplate, segmental headed inner doorway, remains of medieval door with medieval iron work, tablet in gable
end dated 1695. 3-light window right, rood stair projection with lancet, 2-light windows to diagonally buttressed
chancel, chamfered, semi-circular headed priest's door, 3-light east window, vestry with lancet at east end, C20 half
glazed door to upper room presumably over basement, 2-light C15 trefoil headed window right partially cut by vestry
additon, otherwise north wall unlit with large rubble buttress. Interior: rendered. Nave walls very thick and splayed
out. C19 pointed chancel arch, moulded 4-centered tower arch. Roofs: C19 arch braced roof on corbels to chancel,
shallow plastered wagon roof to nave. Circular Norman font. C19 fittings including pulpit, harmonium, wrought iron
altar rails, 2 wrought iron lamp holders in sanctuary and 4 corona lamp holders with crested decoration suspended by
chains and still used to light the church. Mid C18 pedimented marble tablet with volutes and palm leaf decoration to
the Bryant family. Access to the puipit is via the small meeting room on the north front. (Photograph in NMR).


Listing NGR: SS9868933280

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.