History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Exmoor, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.141 / 51°8'27"N

Longitude: -3.7514 / 3°45'4"W

OS Eastings: 277576

OS Northings: 139429

OS Grid: SS775394

Mapcode National: GBR L4.8KG9

Mapcode Global: VH5K5.XLN5

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 6 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1058030

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265425

Location: Exmoor, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Exmoor

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Simonsbath

Listing Text


SS73NE EXMOOR CP

SIMONSBATH
11/12
Church of St Luke
6.4.59

II
-

Church. Circa 1856. Architect unknown. Dressed lias, render grooved as ashlar to left of porch, slate hung west end,
Ham stone dressings, stepped sill string course below windows, coved cornice, coped verges to chancel arch wall, slate
roofs. Plan: 3-bay nave, bell-cote, south porch, chancel, north-east vestry. Early English style. Slate hung gabled
bell-cote rising from central west end buttress pierced by 2 lancets, lower flanking butttresses with cement caps
linked by high plinth, single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening reached by flight of 4 steps, trefoil lights on
returns, pointed arch inner doorway, double doors with decorative hinges, 2 paired lancets to nave, buttress, 3 lancets
to chancel, set back buttresses, east window of 3 lancets, lancet north wall of chancel, lean-to roofed vestry, 2
lancets east side, shouldered doorway north front, 3 paired lancets to nave. Interior: rendered. Pointed chancel arch.
Arched braced nave roof, collar beam to nave, in varnished pine as are all fittings and harmonium. The ecclesiastical
parish was created in 1856 out of the Royal Forest of Exmoor and the memoirs of the first vicar, the Rev W H Thornton,
'Reminiscences of An Old West Country Clergyman' tell of its early days. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West
Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: SS7757639429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.