This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1392 / 51°8'20"N
Longitude: -3.7563 / 3°45'22"W
OS Eastings: 277225
OS Northings: 139232
OS Grid: SS772392
Mapcode National: GBR L4.8J78
Mapcode Global: VH5K5.VM1L
Entry Name: Simonsbath House Hotel
Listing Date: 6 April 1959
Last Amended: 2 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265427
Location: Exmoor, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Exmoor
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS73NE EXMOOR CP SIMONSBATH
Simonsbath House Hotel
(formerly listed as Simonsbath
House, now hotel. Mid C17, extensively altered C19 and C20. Built for John Boevey. Roughcast over rubble, butumen
covered slate roofs, pyramid roof to porch with soffit board, roughcast stacks between fist and second bays right,
between second and third at gable end of original dwelling, to right of porch and set below rebuilt gable end right.
Plan: internally much altered, 3 or 4-cell and cross passage with full height porch extended to U-plan. Two storeys,
2:3:1:2 bays, mainly C20 casements, tripartite sash windows second bay left, third bay canted bay window with 24-pane
sash window, right of porch 12-pane sash window first floor, 3-light casement below, tall porch with C19 canted oriel
window, moulded C17 door, partly renewed, reached by flight of 4 slate steps, C20 inner door. Gabled 2-storey, 2-bay
wing right, 3-storey agricultural wing adjoining left. Interior: fireplace with chamfered lintel and enriched stops to
right of cross passage dated 1654, imported C17 panelling and overmantel in hall from Wier Gifford, Bideford, North
Devon with painted coats of arms, coved ceiling to porch room. This was built by the Warden of Exmoor Forest, John
Boevey, and was until the early C19 the only house in the Royal Forest. Circa 1819 it became the home of the Knight
family and was subsequently much altered by the Fortescues in the early C20.
Listing NGR: SS7722539232
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings