This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2576 / 51°15'27"N
Longitude: -2.3259 / 2°19'33"W
OS Eastings: 377355
OS Northings: 150989
OS Grid: ST773509
Mapcode National: GBR 0S3.0SM
Mapcode Global: VH976.MNR8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary, Causeway Bridge, and Gates
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267143
Location: Lullington, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Lullington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST75SE LULLINGTON CP
4/197 Church of St. Mary, causeway
bridge, and gates
Church. C13. Random rubble, stone slate roofs with coped verges, gabled bellcote to west end. Buttressed nave and
chancel, buttressed early C19 north chapel, south porch; fabric rebuilt by Sir George Gilbert Scott, for Rev. W. A.
Duckworth, supervised by J. O. Scott, 1878. Predominantly Decorated style, simple exterior, 2 and 3-light windows with
a circle-in-bar tracery. Most remarkable exterior feature is priests door in a hollow moulded stone surround with a
pointed-5-cusped head, a pointed trefoil set above. Interior on tile floors; north chapel entered through a low cusped
archway formerly giving onto a tomb recess; chancel with much decoration, pointed trefoiled piscina to south side,
trefoiled aumbry to north side with a seated figure of Christ, stone figures of a king and queen flank the altar, small
corbel figures in the form of a monk and a nun on either side to hold the former lentern veil. Much stained glass of
the mid C15 and early C16; east window with a tonsured figure flanked by angels; north and south chancel windows with 8
figures of the apostles and texts; window over priests door with a representation of the Holy Trinity; south window to
nave with a winged ox and a winged lion representing St. Mark and St. Luke; west window with angels and figures, St.
Michael in the tracery lights. Jacobean pulpit, early C14 circular font with leaf decoration and small seated figures.
The church is on an island formed by the creation of the upper ornamental lake to Orchardlea Park. It is reached by a
rubble bridge with a single semi-circular arch, wrought iron handrails, C19 wrought iron railed gate to each end.
(SANHS, Vol 57i, 1911; Vol 39i, pages 28-29, 1893, Vol 86, pages 79-85, 1940).
Listing NGR: ST7735550991
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings