This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2099 / 51°12'35"N
Longitude: -2.377 / 2°22'37"W
OS Eastings: 373761
OS Northings: 145697
OS Grid: ST737456
Mapcode National: GBR 0SL.5TP
Mapcode Global: VH97C.RV7D
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266796
Location: Nunney, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Nunney
Built-Up Area: Nunney
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST7345 NUNNEY CP CHURCH STREET (East side)
12/98 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C12, remodelled C13 and again early C16, aisles rebuilt after 1802. Coursed and squared Doulting rubble,
ashlar dressings, double Roman, plain and irritation stone tile roofs. Cruciform plan, 3-bays aisled nave, West tower
with entrance, South door and porch. Late C13 tracery to East window, and to South chancel windows. Early C14
reticulated windows to North and South transepts. Aisles have foliated lancets with folked heads of 2-lights and
quatrefoils; above crenellated parapets. 3-stage tower, carved panel over West window, diagonal buttresses,
crennellations, crocketed finials, small stair turret to centre of South side. Interior largely plastered, with lowered
ceiling to Nave. The four centred arcades, transept arch and chancel arch are all continuous of 2-chamfered orders
without capitals, (an exception is the North transept arch of C13 build having crudely carved face to East respond). 2
and 3-light foliated head squints flanking chancel arch with C16 screen, restored C19. Barrel vaulted chancel of C19,
cusped rere-arch to South window which is also a sedile and trefoil headed piscina, C17 communion table. North transept
has imposing de la Mere monuments of C14, early C15 and C17 (see Pevsner, Buildings of England). South transept has
numerous monuments including vertical ledges to members of the Sambourne family. In body of church medieval wall
painting on forth arcade, Royal arms over South door of 1660. C18 panelled pulpit, and C12 tub font with gadrooning
with pyramidal tester inscribed W.S. 1681.
Listing NGR: ST7377445699
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings