This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2239 / 51°13'26"N
Longitude: -2.4417 / 2°26'30"W
OS Eastings: 369248
OS Northings: 147286
OS Grid: ST692472
Mapcode National: GBR MY.316C
Mapcode Global: VH89W.MHJL
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266712
Location: Leigh-on-Mendip, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Leigh-on-Mendip
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CHURCH WALK (North Side)
Church of St Giles
Parish Church. Circa 1350, rebuilt circa 1500. Doulting rubble and ashlar, slate and lead roofs. Clerestoried nave of three bays, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, west tower; Perpendicular. Three stage tower has paired set-back buttresses connected across the angle terminating in two sets of pinnacles, the higher placed diagonally; two further pinnacles between each standing above embattled parapets pierced by quatrefoils. Triple bell openings of two lights filled by a dense quatrefoil interlace, identical blank lights set directly below. Ogee gable to the west doorway, above four light window. Nave and chancel have parapets with pierced quatrefoils, three light windows under square and pointed heads respectively. Five light east window. Scraped interior, elaborate tie beam roof to both nave and chancel, (the latter more elaborate) decorated with figures of angels; north and south aisles have lean to roofs of similar design, unfinished fan vault to tower. Nave has arcade of three bays, pointed arches on slender four hollow piers, chancel arch and aisle chapel arches of similar type; tower arch has wave moulding. Upper and lower entrances to rood, scalloped C11 foot with Jacobean cover and medieval glass incorporated in west windows. South aisle contains two piscinae and aumbray; C12 stone figures of St Catherine on sill of south-east window. Chancel has priest's door to south; angelic corbels for lentern veil, Jacobean chair. Three aediculated wall plaques of C18 in chancel and north and south aisles.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29 November 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings