This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1914 / 51°11'29"N
Longitude: -2.555 / 2°33'17"W
OS Eastings: 361314
OS Northings: 143720
OS Grid: ST613437
Mapcode National: GBR MS.58HG
Mapcode Global: VH8B0.NBN0
Entry Name: 15 and 16, Coombe Lane
Listing Date: 16 November 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266485
Location: Shepton Mallet, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Shepton Mallet
Built-Up Area: Shepton Mallet
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
381/6/84 COOMBE LANE
15 AND 16
(Formerly listed as:
14 AND 16)
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
14, 15 AND 16)
House, now two dwellings. Dating from c1700 with C18 alterations. Attached to the north side of No. 16 Coombe Lane is a late-C20 addition which is now a separate dwelling (No. 14) that is not of special interest.
MATERIALS: The house is built of rubble, possibly Forest Marble that is rendered, with dressed quoins to the front range (No. 15). The roofs are covered with double Roman tiles and there are brick gable end chimneystacks to No. 15 and to the rear wing (No. 16).
PLAN: A two-storey, lobby-entrance house with attics (No. 15) and a rear wing (No. 16) that is parallel with the road. To the rear of No. 15 is a later addition with a catslide roof.
EXTERIOR: The entrance front (No. 15) faces south and has a central doorway with a stone square-headed surround with bolection mouldings. The timber hood is later in date and is supported by acanthus leaf enriched stone scroll brackets. The entrance is flanked by a window to each side, set in moulded stone architraves. To the far left is a small single-storey lean-to. There is similar fenestration to the first floor, all containing C19 eight/eight sash windows with glazing bars, with the exception of one two-light moulded mullion window with side-hung casements above the door. Additionally there are two dormer windows with casements.
The gabled wing to the rear (No. 16) contains further mullioned windows, some with moulded cornices, though some of the windows have been replaced in the C20.
INTERIOR: No. 15 was not inspected internally (2010). No. 16 which was originally the rear wing of the house and probably contained the service rooms, has undergone internal modernisation, but retains several ceiling beams and a fireplace with bolection-moulded surround to the ground floor.
HISTORY: Until the C19, industry in Shepton Mallet was focused around wool and silk. The hamlet of Bowlish was a separate suburb of Shepton in the post-medieval period, though it may have had earlier origins. In the late C17 and early C18 a number of large clothiers' houses were erected there and the hamlet became a suburb or country retreat for the wealthy citizens of the town. Although the building was originally a single dwelling, it was later sub-divided into three separate houses and is depicted as such on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1888.
SOURCES: N. Pevsner, Buildings of England - North Somerset and Bristol (1990), 145
Mendip District Council, Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Proposals, Shepton Mallet (2007)
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: Nos. 15 and 16 Coombe Lane, an early-C18 house which has been subdivided into two dwellings, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: a house of c1700 with a restrained Classical frontage demonstrating some architectural pretension
* Intactness: the exterior is largely unaltered and demonstrates significant architectural interest
* Fabric: it preserves a significant proportion of historic fabric in a range of local vernacular building materials
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings