This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1868 / 51°11'12"N
Longitude: -2.5054 / 2°30'19"W
OS Eastings: 364774
OS Northings: 143183
OS Grid: ST647431
Mapcode National: GBR MV.5H2V
Mapcode Global: VH8B1.JFCK
Entry Name: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29, Doulting Village
Listing Date: 25 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268345
Location: Doulting, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Doulting
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
1594/12/135 DOULTING VILLAGE
25-FEB-88 DOULTING VILLAGE
24, 25, 26, 27, 28 AND 29
Row of former estate cottages. Erected in 1882 and extended in the early 1900s by G J Skipper for Sir Richard Paget of Cranmore Hall. Mainly of one and a half storeys, built in a Tudor style of Doulting ashlar with freestone dressings. Slate roofs with large axial stacks that have grouped polygonal shafts and moulded caps. The cottages front onto the roadside and the main elevation follows the angle of the road. They were built in two phases: Nos. 24-27 in 1881; Nos. 28-29 in 1901 or 1902.
EXTERIOR: The fenestration to the front elevation consists of single, two-, three-, and four-light stone mullioned windows with metal casements; some have been replaced in timber. The windows have hood-moulds with label-stops. From east to west, the row can be described thus: No. 24 has two storeys and an attic with an entrance set within a narrow two storey half-bay at the east end; No.25 and 26 are both of one and a half storeys with gabled half-dormers and a projecting central gabled bay which has a stone plaque carved with `1882' and `RHP', the initials of Sir Richard Paget, within the gable. No. 27 is also of one and a half storeys with a gabled half-dormer. It has a four-light window to the left of the entrance and a single window to the right. No. 28 has two storeys and an attic with a shallow, canted oriel to the first floor which has five-lights, below which is a stone plaque bearing the Paget family coat of arms. No. 29 has a two-light windows to the ground and attic floors on the roadside elevation, its principal façade being the west gable wall. There is a continuous drip mould above the ground floor windows to Nos. 28-29. The six door openings, including one to the right return, have moulded surrounds with four-centred arch heads and plank doors.
The rear elevation is plainer. Nos. 24-27 are quite similar and each has a two-light attic window in a half-dormer. A number of the stone mullions have been removed and some roof-lights have been introduced. Nos. 28-29 have plain gable end stacks and two-light windows to the ground and first floors. There is a small two-light window to the attic of No. 28.
SUBSDIARY FEATURES: To the rear of the cottages is a row of single storey outbuildings, believed to have been wash-houses. Built of rubble stone with slate roofs,each has a single doorway and are also of two phases; the right hand section was added when Nos. 28-29 were constructed in the early 1900s.
HISTORY: Nos. 24-29 Doulting forms part of a larger group of estate cottages built in the village in the late C19 for Sir Richard Paget of Cranmore Hall. They were built in two phases: Nos. 24-27 in 1882; and Nos. 28-29 in 1901 or 1902. The architect was George John Skipper (1856-1948) of Norwich, and his illustration of the cottages was published in The Builder in 1887.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: Nos. 24-29 Doulting is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Its overall high level of architectural quality, particularly visible in its key external features.
* The terrace possesses group value as it forms part of a wider group of estate cottages of similar date, style and quality.
* It contributes to the planned ensemble of which it forms a part.
Other nearby listed buildings