This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.193 / 51°11'34"N
Longitude: -2.4573 / 2°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 368141
OS Northings: 143848
OS Grid: ST681438
Mapcode National: GBR MX.5389
Mapcode Global: VH8B2.C89T
Entry Name: St James
Listing Date: 25 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268271
Location: Cranmore, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Cranmore
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CRANMORE CP EAST CRANMORE
4/71 St James
Former Anglican church, now deconsecrated and used as a dwelling. 1846 by T.H. Wyatt, some late C20 alteration. Ashlar,
coped verges, ornamental finials, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south transept, south tower-porch, north vestry. Early
English and Geometrical styles. Two stage tower-porch with pilaster buttresses to bottom stage, corner shafts to second
stage, cornice with ball-flower ornament, tall recessed ribbed stone spire with cruciform finial and small gablets;
2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils; shafted pointed-arch door opening, label stops carved as heads, ribbed
and studded door. Five bay nave, pilaster buttresses with offsets, cusped lancets, west end with similar fenestration
and a rose window. Transept with 2-light window with plate tracery to south, large gargoyle. Low vestry with lancets.
Two bay chancel, lancets, good 3-light triple-lancet east window, carved heads as label stops; priests door to south,
shafted opening, scrolly iron hinges. Majority of window openings with original glazing removed and late C20 aluminium
casements inserted. Interior not seen at time of survey (March 1986) but is believed to be little altered with an
elaborate arch-braced roof. Stated to stand on the site of a Saxon chapel which was rebuilt in the early C18.
(Photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST6814143848
Other nearby listed buildings