This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1497 / 51°8'58"N
Longitude: -2.4531 / 2°27'11"W
OS Eastings: 368404
OS Northings: 139037
OS Grid: ST684390
Mapcode National: GBR MX.7Y0D
Mapcode Global: VH8B8.FCHG
Entry Name: The Old Post Office
Listing Date: 25 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268251
Location: Batcombe, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Batcombe
Built-Up Area: Batcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
1594/8/50 WESTCOMBE HILL
25-FEB-88 (South side)
THE OLD POST OFFICE
House of early C19 date.
MATERIALS: Painted random rubble with ashlar quoins and brick dressings; the rear elevation is rendered. The roof is of slate with brick stacks towards the right hand end.
PLAN: A linear plan consisting of a two storey three bay main portion with a two storey two bay range to the right (west) and a further single storey range beyond. There is a single storey lean-to addition to the left side.
EXTERIOR: The front (north) elevation has a former double shop front to the main portion with large windows with glazing bars on each side of paired panelled entrance doors, all set beneath a brick relieving arches and a continuous cornice, and all flanked by fluted pilasters. At first floor are three sash windows each with three over six panes with raised surrounds. The two bay range to the right has a blocked central door opening which now contains a window of six panes, and is flanked by hornless sash windows. Above are two casement windows. The only opening in the single storey right hand range is an entrance doorway. The left hand section contains a pair of double doors and serves as a garage. Its front walls curves southwards, running parallel with Holy Hill, and has a single doorway.
INTERIOR: Not inspected (2006)
HISTORY: Part of the building was used as the village post office in the C20; the wall-type letter box and some post office signage on the front elevation are evidence for this former use. The building has now reverted to residential use only.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Old Post Office is a good example of a late Georgian house, subsequently adapted in part for commercial use as a post office until the late C20. It is clearly of special interest in terms of its overall architectural quality. Additionally it contributes to the character of Westcombe Hill.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings