This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2086 / 51°12'30"N
Longitude: -2.6913 / 2°41'28"W
OS Eastings: 351804
OS Northings: 145714
OS Grid: ST518457
Mapcode National: GBR ML.43ZB
Mapcode Global: VH89R.9WKC
Entry Name: Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268186
Location: Wookey, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wookey
Built-Up Area: Wookey
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST54NW WOOKEY CP VICARAGE LANE (West side)
Episcopal manor house, now farmhouse. Fragmentary C13 remains, C16 and C17 work, much altered C18 and again C19.
Roughcast, triple Roman tile roof with a crested ridge, coped verges, 3 brick stacks, 2 on ashlar and rubble bases, one
with exposed chimney breast. Much altered L-plan with a cross passage. Two storeys, main wing of 3 bays, C19 3-light
casements on first floor, two 3-light hollow-chamfered stone mullioned windows on ground floor, each light with a
2-centred head, incised spandrels, that to right with iron stanchion and saddle bars, that to left with a casement to
each light, some early glass remaining. Central door opening, 6-panelled door, fanlight with radiating glazing bars,
ashlar porch, semi-circular head outer door opening, key, cornice. Remains of a buttress to left of frontage. Narrow
projecting wing to right, 3 storeys, one window to each floor of inner face, 3-light moulded stone mullioned window on
first floor, iron casements with leaded lights, label; similar windows on ground floor except with mullions cut away
and a 3-light casement inserted; small leaded window on second floor. Two stage buttress to right. Blocked 4-centred
arch door opening to rear and the remains of a stair turret obscured by C19 lean-to. Salient interior feature the
2-centred archway to a former chapel, c1230, moulded head of 3 rolls, remains of one capital; further remains of
similar plainer doorway; moulded C16 ceiling beams; some C18 fittings. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset
and Bristol, 1958; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, April 1983; Wood, C13 Domestic Architecture in England; Supplements
Archaeological Journal, CV, 1950).
Listing NGR: ST5180445714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings