This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2165 / 51°12'59"N
Longitude: -2.6156 / 2°36'56"W
OS Eastings: 357099
OS Northings: 146542
OS Grid: ST570465
Mapcode National: GBR MP.3R4N
Mapcode Global: VH89S.MP3B
Entry Name: Chapel with Covered Approach to Mendip Hospital
Listing Date: 19 December 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058586
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268199
Location: St. Cuthbert Out, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert Out
Built-Up Area: South Horrington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 54 NE ST CUTHBERT OUT CP
11/95 Chapel with covered approach
to Mendip Hospital
Chapel attached by a covered walkway to rear of County Lunatic Asylum, which is now
a hospital (qv). 1845-7. By G G Scott and W B Moffatt, works supervised by
Richard Carver, for County Magistrates. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone
dressings, coped verges, slate roofs with circular domes iron vents, 2-stage
buttresses with offsets. Crossing tower with spire, transepts, nave, chancel,
lean-to vestry; in C13 style. Two-light windows with simple tracery and lancets,
some grouped; base of tower square on plan, top stage octagonal, broaches; 2-light
bell-chamber window to each face, above corbels supporting a continuous octagonal
stone spire with a finial. Elevated approach from hospital in conforming
neo-medieval style, 3-light stone mullioned windows; set on bridge spanning road
which runs along rear of hospital. Interior of interest. An important example of
Scott's early industrial work; contract won in open competition; built by Kirk of
Sleaford. (Builder, 1845; architects drawing in RIBA).
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1273952. This entry was removed from the List on 29th May 2015.
Listing NGR: ST5709946542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings