This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2548 / 51°15'17"N
Longitude: -2.476 / 2°28'33"W
OS Eastings: 366880
OS Northings: 150734
OS Grid: ST668507
Mapcode National: GBR MW.1BHF
Mapcode Global: VH89P.1QDF
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267901
Location: Holcombe, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Holcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
5/123 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican Church. Late Saxon-early Norman establishment, rebuilt C16, C18 internal fittings; some C19 restoration.
Random and coursed rubble, some ashlar, some stucco, slate roofs with moulded freestone ridges. Perpendicular with
Norman work and neo Norman mannerisms. Nave, south porch, chancel, west tower. Slender 2-stage tower with an ashlar
parapet, corner pinnacles, squat stair turret on lower stage to north; small 2- light bell-chamber openings with ashlar
grilles, small 2-light west window. Two-bay nave, square head 2-light windows, iron saddle-bars and stanchions,
buttresses to East. Gabled porch with a re-used Norman doorway/chancel arch, semi-circular head with chevron moulding,
2 different scallop capitals on three quarter spiral-ornamented shafts. Forming part of one capital is a stone with an
inverted incised inscription, postulated of Saxon origin; set over the arch a C16 figure of an angel. Further chevron
ornament of C16 on gable face, apex with a base for a finial; kneelers in neo-Norman style. Short chancel with small
square headed 2-light east window, leaded lights, label with decayed heads as stops, east buttresses. Interior of porch
plastered, benched, flagstone floor floor. Ribbed and studded inner door, probably C16. Plastered interior on flagstone
floors; plastered wagon roof to nave; C19 chancel roof. Jacobean pulpit; C18 box pews; C18 western gallery and coat
pegs. Royal arms dated 1726. C19 choir stalls, altar rails and altar table. Decalogue plaques dated 1817. Nine C18/C19
wall monuments by local firms. Two early bells. A lonely site surrounded by the remains of a deserted medieval village,
coach house at rear or The Old Rectory the only other early surviving building (qv). Members of the Scott family,
including explorer's mother buried in the churchyard. (Reid R.D., Some Buildings of Mendip, 1979).
Listing NGR: ST6688050734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings