History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Parsonage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1233 / 51°7'24"N

Longitude: -2.7714 / 2°46'16"W

OS Eastings: 346112

OS Northings: 136288

OS Grid: ST461362

Mapcode National: GBR MH.9FPJ

Mapcode Global: VH7DT.X185

Entry Name: The Old Parsonage

Listing Date: 22 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1058723

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267808

Location: Walton, Mendip, Somerset, BA16

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Walton

Built-Up Area: Street

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Walton

Listing Text

WALTON CP MAIN STREET (South side)
ST43NE

5/100 Nos 67 and 67A
(The Old Parsonage)
22.11.66

GV II*

Postulated as a monastic manor courthouse with an attached, though separate, house for the rector of Street, (Walton
once part of that Parish); now a single dwelling. C15 with much alteration, particularly virtually complete
refenestration c1940 with imported C15 features. Rubble with roughcast; freestone dressings; coped verges; C20 stacks,
predominantly brick. Two 2-storey rectangular ranges staggered and joined only at the angles where there is a vice;
each range with a former hall on first floor. Perpendicular. Two 3-light stone-mullioned windows on Eastern side are
original: each light with a cusped head, one window with a transom and stopped label; most of the other windows appear
re-set. north-west range with fine semi-octagonal bay window to North gable, 2-storeyed with a tripartite tile roof,
windows re-set. Two door openings to West, that to North range with a 2-centred moulded stone surround, directly
adjacent an identical second doorway now blocked, C20 porch; that to south-west range via a shallow porch with a door
opening in a moulded stone surround with a 4-centred head, moulded wooden inner doorframe with 4-centre head and carved
spandrels, again both the latter 2 doorways appearing imported. Many interior features of the 1940 restoration
including doors, doorways and probably all the fireplaces; the moulded ceiling to the South of the South range and the
moulded coffered ceiling (partially obscured) to the north range are undoutedly original. Roof to South with
arch-braced collar trusses; that to North with collar and tie-beam trusses. (Extract from the Terrier of the Glebe
Lands, 1621; W A Pantin, Medieval Archaeology, Volume 1, 1958; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, 1958; VAG Report,
undated, unpublished; D B Sumpster, D.o.E. report, 3 November 1977).


Listing NGR: ST4611236288

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.