History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Coleford, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.2393 / 51°14'21"N

Longitude: -2.4504 / 2°27'1"W

OS Eastings: 368657

OS Northings: 149000

OS Grid: ST686490

Mapcode National: GBR MX.2511

Mapcode Global: VH89W.G3YS

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 11 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1058736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267841

Location: Coleford, Mendip, Somerset, BA3

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Coleford

Built-Up Area: Coleford (Mendip)

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

9/58 Church of The Holy Trinity

Anglican Parish Church. 1831 by J. Sperring. Ashlar, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with pinnacles,
cruciform finial, slender 2- stage buttresses. Broao nave with aisles, short chancel, west tower with single storey
flanking rooms, one a vestry, one a store/churchroom. Perpendicular style. Slender tower with battlements, 2 stages,
diagonal buttresses ascending to pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows with stone grilles, 2-light West window. Four
bay nave, 2-light windows; embattled gabled south porch, pointed-arch door opening, C20 doors, traceried transom;
traceried inner doors. Chancel blank on north and south sides; 3- light East window. Plastered interior with C19 and
C20 wall monuments; ceiling to nave with moulded cornice and a moulded central rib. Stone reredos with inscriptions.
Perpendicular style stone pulpit and font probably of 1831. Late C19 organ and benches. Late C19 and C20 stained glass.
Bell said to come from Fonthill Abbey in #iltshire. (Wood S., A short History of Coleford Parish Church, 1971).

Listing NGR: ST6865749000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.