This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1315 / 51°7'53"N
Longitude: -2.7326 / 2°43'57"W
OS Eastings: 348834
OS Northings: 137168
OS Grid: ST488371
Mapcode National: GBR MJ.8ZG4
Mapcode Global: VH8B3.LT7G
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267776
Location: Street, Mendip, Somerset, BA16
Civil Parish: Street
Built-Up Area: Street
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
STREET CP CHURCH ROAD (North side)
5/65 Church of The Holy Trinity
Anglican Parish Church. C14, C15, much restored 1826 and 1843. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, coped verges
with finials. Nave with south porch, North aisle, chancel with a South vestry, West tower. The latter unbuttressed and
of 2 stages, rubble parapet with a moulded coping, pyramidal lead roof with cresting and a weathervane; clock to South;
C19 3-light West window, West door; 2-light bell-chamber windows, each light with a cusped head. Three bay nave,
2-light windows with reticulated tracery; single bay chancel, 2-light windows, 3-light East window, all in similar
style. Porch with C14 outer doorway, C20 ribbed doors. Three bay North aisle of 1826, 2-light windows, large later
buttresses. Vestry in conforming style of 1843, small 2-light window. Interior dominated by very elaborate roofs,
probably C15; that to nave with king posts, cusped struts and cusped windbraces; to chancel with queen posts and again
cusped windbracese Fine C14 double sedilia, ogee-headed arches with fretwork cusping and small grotesque heads, a
pinnacle to each side and in the centre, blind niches. Piscina in similar style with ball-flower decoration. Three bay
arcade to North aisle, narrow piers, each arch with a 4-centred head. Tower and chancel arches both altered C19.
Lead-lined C14 octagonal font, C19 painted text, C19 cover. Brass to Margret Dyer of 1583. Two C17 coffin stools. Late
C19 choir stalls and pews. Large monument, 1826, by Reeves of Bath. Remains of some medieval stained glass to South
window of nave; some C20 stained glass; remainder of windows with simple leaded lights. Two small metal plaques in
chancel commemorate the gift of former stained glass windows by Rev. John Horner of Mells Park, Easter 1845; the glass
no longer exists. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Burdock R, Church Guide, 1977).
Listing NGR: ST4883537166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings