This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1026 / 51°6'9"N
Longitude: -2.6869 / 2°41'12"W
OS Eastings: 352003
OS Northings: 133922
OS Grid: ST520339
Mapcode National: GBR ML.BYXN
Mapcode Global: VH8BB.CKX3
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267722
Location: Butleigh, Mendip, Somerset, BA6
Civil Parish: Butleigh
Built-Up Area: Butleigh
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
BUTLEIGH CP HIGH STREET (North side)
11/9 Church of St. Leonard
Anglican Parish Church. C14, much restored and extended mid C19 by J. C. Buckler. Coursed and squared lias rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, stone-tiled roofs, some clay tiles, moulded stone eaves cornices, coped verges with
finials. Nave with South porch, North aisle, North chapel, crossing tower with North and South transept chapels, that to North now a vestry, chancel. Predominantly Decorated with some Perpendicular features; C19 work in a Decorated
style. Embattled tower with simple 2-light bell-chamber windows, stair turret to north-east corner. Three bay nave with 2 and 3-light windows to South, that adjacent West end with original tracery, renewed cusped rere-arches; 6-light
transomed window to West end; directly below a door. South porch with a simple and apparently unrestored shafted outer door opening, inner door with elaborate medievalising ironwork. Three bay North aisle of c1859, rose window at its West
end; North chapel with elaborate North window with a cusped transom, inner reveal carved with vines and heraldic shields. Transepts of 1851 with 3-light North and South windows and lancets; 2 bay chancel, small 2-light windows,
3-light East window. Plastered interior on encaustic tile and flag floors, elaborate cast-iron heater gratings. Tower stands on low arches with bold mouldings, those to North and South appear much renewed; vault with ribs and ridge-ribs on corbels; Decorated arch to North chapel; 2 bay arcade to North aisle, broad squat arches. Roofs all C19; hammerbeam to nave, lean-to with arch- bracing to North aisle, wagon to North chapel, transepts with arch-braces, wagon to chancel, painted and gilded above altar. Octagonal C15 font on a shafted base, the panels of the bowl with emblems of the Trinity. Remainder of fittings predominantly late C19; pews with carved ends in C15 style; elaborate choir stalls, ends with poppy heads; gilded altar and reredos; 2 screens; aumbry in a cusped surround, door with intricate ironwork; pulpit; lectern; organ. Jacobean altar table to North aisle. Three kneeling figures from an Elizabethan tomb to North chapel. North aisle with a series of memorials to Neville-Grenville family; monument to Thomas Symcocks of 1624 to North chapel; nave with C19 brass plaques; South transept with Hood monuments, the largest by Lucius Gahagan of Bath of
early C19 to 3 brothers including Admiral Hood, at its foot relief of a sea battle, shafts each side ascending to an ogee arch. such mid/late C19 stained glass; south window of nave 1851 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin; South transcept 1853 by Ward and Nixon; east window 1829 by Willement; West window with remains of some medieval glass. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South
and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5200333922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings