This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1132 / 51°6'47"N
Longitude: -2.6153 / 2°36'55"W
OS Eastings: 357023
OS Northings: 135062
OS Grid: ST570350
Mapcode National: GBR MP.B57D
Mapcode Global: VH8BC.M87Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267663
Location: West Bradley, Mendip, Somerset, BA6
Civil Parish: West Bradley
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
WEST BRADLEY CP LOTTISHAM ROAD (East side)
7/190 Church of St Mary
Anglican Parish Church, 1876 by Sir T G Jackson. Blue lias and Ham stone with Doulting dressings, tile roof with a
slight bellcast, tile hung timber bellcote over chancel arch with arcading and lourvres, spirelet, weathervane. Nave,
south porch, chancel with an organ loft to north. Free Perpendicular and Decorated style in the Arts and Crafts idiom.
Two bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows, simple leaded lights; two 2-stage buttresses to west end with offsets, gable face
with planted frame; 2:1:2-light west window. Prominent 2-stage buttress between nave and chancel; 2-bay chancel with
small windows, 3-light east window with flowing tracery, again the gable face with planted frame. Plank door to nave,
small plank door to chancel, elaborate strap hinges. Plastered interior on tile floors; nave with unceiled king-post
tie-beam roof with struts and some cusping; chancel with unceiled wagon roof. Chancel arch composed of 2 tie-beam
trusses close behind each other, elevated by posts with heavy ogee-arched braces, cusping; these fulfill the double
function of supporting the bellcote. Complete set of fittings; simple stained pews and choir stalls with additional
seating forded by flapped extensions, some readers pierced in an unusual Art Noveau style much like Mackintosh; pulpit;
simple octagonal stone font; C19 organ. A second example in the parish of one of Jackson's relatively few church
designs. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 19581).
Listing NGR: ST5702335062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings