History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of West Bradley

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Bradley, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1294 / 51°7'45"N

Longitude: -2.6332 / 2°37'59"W

OS Eastings: 355786

OS Northings: 136874

OS Grid: ST557368

Mapcode National: GBR MP.90PJ

Mapcode Global: VH8B5.9WS1

Entry Name: Parish Church of West Bradley

Listing Date: 2 June 1961

Last Amended: 17 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1058795

English Heritage Legacy ID: 267672

Location: West Bradley, Mendip, Somerset, BA6

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: West Bradley

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Pennard

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/01/2016


ST53NE
7/198


WEST BRADLEY CP
WEST BRADLEY VILLAGE,
Parish Church of West Bradley

(Formerly listed as Church of St Andrew, previously listed as Parish Church)

2.6.61

GV
II*
Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C14/C15, much C19 restoration, particularly the chancel. Coursed and squared lias
rubble, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel with an organ loft to north,
south porch, west tower; Perpendicular. Unbuttressed 2-stage tower, with a moulded string at its base; 2-light bell
chamber windows, embattled parapet, pyramid roof with a cruciform finial; 2-light west window, west door, shallow stair
turret to north side, single narrow window. Two bay nave, an ashlar parapet to the north and south sides with a moulded
coping; 2-light traceried windows, some tracery renewed. Buttressed porch, elaborately moulded surround to the outer
door opening, adjacent a plain stoup, paired C19 inner doors with surface tracery; blocked north doorway. Two bay
chancel, much rebuilt with 2-light square headed windows, priest's door; shallow stair turret to a former rood loft on
its north side, lancet with a foiled head. Plastered interior on flag stone and encaustic tile floor; walls scraped
under tower which has a star-vault; nave with a king post and tie beam roof; unceiled wagon roof to chancel. Single
shafted tower arch; typical Perpendicular moulding to the chancel arch. Norman tub font under tower; semi-circular
headed piscina, adjacent a C13 moulded corbel; tablet to Danil Avery of 1530 in nave; further tablet of 1812 by T King
to chancel. Plain C19 pews, choir stalls and pulpit

(Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST5578636874

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.