This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1651 / 51°9'54"N
Longitude: -2.5898 / 2°35'23"W
OS Eastings: 358854
OS Northings: 140817
OS Grid: ST588408
Mapcode National: GBR MQ.6ZMX
Mapcode Global: VH8B0.2Z66
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Last Amended: 17 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267626
Location: Pilton, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Pilton
Built-Up Area: Pilton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST54SE PILTON CP SHOP LANE (West side)
15/152 Church of St John the Baptist
Anglican Parish Church. C11, C12, C13, C14 and C15; restored c1870. Coursed and squared lias, freestone dressings and
detailing, low pitched lead roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch; predominantly Perpendicular,
with other earlier features. West tower, embattled and buttressed, 2-stages with pinnacles, stair turret with a
spirelet, 2-light bell chamber windows with a quatrefoil interlace; west door, 4-light west window, sundial, prominent
gargoyles. Five bay buttressed nave with 3-light windows; clerestory stage with 3-light windows, to each end and
between each window a shafted pinnacle with the carved figure of an animal, buttressed south porch with an ashlar
frontage, pinnacles; Norman south doorway with chevron decoration. Two bay chancel, 3-light windows, three 3-light
windows to the clerestory stage again shafted pinnacles, pierced parapet, figures of grotesque animals, buttresses;
5-light east window, below it a large C18 monument. North aisle with buttresses, arcaded parapet with pinnacles, large
gargoyles, 2 and 3-light windows; Early English doorway with roll-mouldings. Interior on flag floors, encaustic tiles
to chancel, plaster walls. Five bay north aisle arcade of c1150, octagonal piers with scallop capitals; Perpendicular
chancel arch of 1410-90. Particularly fine roofs; those to nave and north aisle with tie-beams, cusped struts, corbels
and bosses carved as angels; panelled roof to chancel with bosses and corbels carved as angels; further fine roof to
the porch. Elaborate piscina to chancel with a foiled head; sedilia with an arcade of blank quatrefoils, squint.
Further piscina in north aisle chapel; also a corbel carved as an angel; Easter Sepulchre in a recess, arch over with
ball-flower decoration; carved oak C15 screen, arcade of vine leaves and grapes, remains of some colouring; upper
entrance to rood loft. Octagonal C13 lead-lined font, a semi-circular headed niche to each face of the bowl. Late C19
stone pulpit. Jacobean altar rail with turned and twisted balusters, also contemporary 2 chairs and a chest. Six C18
wall monuments, the most notable to Maria Huntley of 1728 in the chancel, some C18 memorials set in the floor; 16
principal C19 wall monuments, some executed in brass. C19 pews and organ, C19 strong-box, C19 painted plaque under
tower setting out the lands belonging to the Church. Branch of 1749:- R Rice Bristol Fecit. Some medieval glass to
north-east and south-east chancel windows, also east window of aisle; remainder of glass C19 and early C20. Cope,
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958.
Listing NGR: ST5883840808
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings