This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.079 / 51°4'44"N
Longitude: -2.6119 / 2°36'42"W
OS Eastings: 357231
OS Northings: 131252
OS Grid: ST572312
Mapcode National: GBR MQ.D62V
Mapcode Global: FRA 56F8.D9G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267551
Location: Lydford-on-Fosse, Mendip, Somerset, TA11
Civil Parish: Lydford-on-Fosse
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST53SE LYDFORD-ON-FOSSE CP CHURCH LANE (West side)
10/77 Church of St. Mary
Anglican Parish Church. 1866 by B.Ferrey for Rector J. J. Moss. Coursed and squared lias rubble, Doulting dressings,
coped verges, cruciform finials, tile roofs with crested ridges except stone tile roof to chancel. Nave and south
porch, chancel with north-east tower, a vestry at its base. Late C13 style with much Middle Pointed mannerism. Tower
with octagonal upper stages, a lancet to each face around the top; stone spire with gabled lanterns; 3-light window on
north side incorporating texts; shallow stair turret. Three bay nave, single bay chancel, lancets and 2-light windows
with Geometrical tracery; east end with a 3-light window; west end with paired lancets and a rose window, (much damaged
at time of re-survey August, 1984). Elaborate porch with much carved flora and 2 heads as label stops. Lofty interior
finished in Doulting ashlar; arch-braced roof to nave, unceiled wagon roof to chancel; the latter also with encaustic
tiles. Chancel arch supported by coupled detached Purbeck shafts with foliate capitals, dog-tooth ornament facing nave;
chancel windows with further flanking Purbeck shafts. Reredos in neo-Jacobean style. Co-eval pews and choir stalls, the
latter incorporating charming animal carvings. Plain C13 octagonal font reused from an earlier church. C15 alabaster
relief of St.George, again reused, similar a small tablet with roman inscription. Vestry with C18 and C19 wall
monuments also an iron chest with raised lettering "East Lydford Register Chest 1813". Stained glass of 1879 to east
window by C.E. Kemper in early C16 style (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5723131252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings