This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0753 / 51°4'31"N
Longitude: -2.999 / 2°59'56"W
OS Eastings: 330107
OS Northings: 131136
OS Grid: ST301311
Mapcode National: GBR M5.DJ1Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 46L8.ZBG
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269322
Location: North Petherton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: North Petherton
Built-Up Area: North Newton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST33SW NORTH PETHERTON CP CHURCH ROAD (North side)
8/60 Church of St. Peter
Anglican church. Tower postulated of Saxon origin, altered 1635; remainder completely rebuilt for Rev. Thomas Eaton,
1885. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, tile roofs. Nave, chancel, North and South aisles,
North vestry, West tower porch. Tower with Perpendicular features, remainder in an Early English style. Tower of 2
stages with a parapet and moulded coping, 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows with labels, leaded
lights, slit window to North face on upper stage; 4-centred arch door opening in a moulded surround to West, plank
door. Remainder of building with lancets, grouped; buttresses, offsets; vestry with chimney, rose window. Benched porch
on flag floor, Jacobean panelling, moulded inner doorway, paired plank doors. Interior plastered on flag and tile
floors. Broad chancel arch. Salient features the items of Jacobean furniture including an arcaded rood screen with
heavy moulded cornice supported on 4 caryatids, 3 of which are said to represent Three Virtues; carved reader; carved
pulpit, dated 1637; carved door to vestry with relief depicting parable of Wise and Foolish Virgins; reredos and altar
constructed of re-used panelling; table; 2 carved chairs. Medieval consecration cross on south wall of south aisle.
Painting of interior ante restoration by W. Cartright, C17 coffin stool and chest, C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails
and font. Simple C19 stained glass, in Early English style, particularly to chancel. Jacobean work executed for Sir
Thomas Wroth (Church Guide; VCH forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST3010731136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings