This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0921 / 51°5'31"N
Longitude: -3.0148 / 3°0'53"W
OS Eastings: 329028
OS Northings: 133021
OS Grid: ST290330
Mapcode National: GBR M5.CD1M
Mapcode Global: FRA 46K7.K99
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Last Amended: 9 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269339
Location: North Petherton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: North Petherton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23SE NORTH PETHERTON CP FORE STREET (South side)
7/76 Church of St. Mary
(formerly listed as North
Anglican Parish church. Dedicated C12, C15, early C16; alterations 1834-9 by Richard Carver and later C19 restoration.
Random rubble and ashlar, slate and lead sheeting roofs, coped verges and crenellated parapets. Nave, chancel, north
and south aisles continuing east as chapels clasping the chancel, north and south porches, west tower, east sacristy.
Perpendicular. Tower one of the finest in the county; 3-stages, set-back buttresses with 3 tiers of tall pinnacles,
embattled and quatrefoiled parapet, quatrefoiled bands between the stages; west doorway flanked by niches, one with
remains of a figure, quatrefoil frieze above with transomed 4-light window over, tracery also below the transom. On the
north and south sides of the bottom stage further statuettes in niches; second stage with 3-light transomed windows
with Somerset tracery; third stage with lavish bell openings, Somerset tracery, traceried panelling above; low stair
turret to south. All windows large with pointed arch heads, 3 and 4-lights; clerestory to nave with 3-light windows;
single storey sacristy. Inside of porch with corbels carved as angels. Scraped interior under panelled roofs, tower
with fan vault; some corbels carved as angels. Five bay arcades, with piers of 4-hollows section, circular capitals to
the shafts; studded with small rosettes. Lofty panelled tower arch and west arches to the chancel chapels of the same
type; arches between chapels and chancel have as east responds the busts of angels. Perpendicular pulpit, C14 font, the
former with fine traceried panels. Balcony gallery opening to south aisle from upper floor of the porch, dated 1623
with figure of Father Time. Two carved bench ends in nave dated 1596 and 1629. Carved door to sacristy. Carved
sculpture, known as Samson, over tower clock, originally carried pulpit. Brass to nave floor to Katherine Morley obit.
1652; matrices of 2 further medieval brasses remain. Fine screen of 1909 in Perpendicular style. Some C19 stained
glass; window by Kempe; 2 C20 windows by Sir Henry Holiday (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,
1958; VCH forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST2902833021
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings