This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1171 / 51°7'1"N
Longitude: -3.0965 / 3°5'47"W
OS Eastings: 323350
OS Northings: 135883
OS Grid: ST233358
Mapcode National: GBR M1.9WY3
Mapcode Global: VH7DN.85WZ
Entry Name: Barford House and Outbuilding Wing at Rear
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269274
Location: Enmore, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Enmore
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23NW ENMORE CP
2/14 Barford House and outbuilding
wing at rear
Small country house in a landscaped park. Circa 1710 for Jeanes family on an earlier farmhouse core; altered with added
wings and an attic storey c1740; minor late C18 and C19 work; restored post 1958; 2 metal pennants, dated:- "J.G. 1666"
and "A.G. 1775". Local red brick of several different hues, Flemish bond, some moulded, rubble core; freestone
dressings; slate roofs, some bitumenised, large brick stacks with moulded caps; 2 ridge lanterns, one on a base formed
by a brick stack, arcaded with cupola and a pennant, the other conforming though executed in fibreglass. Symmetrical,
main block rectangular on plan, flanking quadrant wings; Baroque. Centre portion of 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays,
rusticated ashlar quoins to ground and first floor, plinth band, moulded first floor band, moulded and dentilled
cornice at attic floor level; attic storey with end pilasters, parapet with moulded capping, corner urns. Twelve-pane
sash windows to ground and first floor in moulded cambered head architraves with keys, sills on consoles; 6-pane sash
windows in moulded architraves to second floor. Central architrave door opening, triangular pediment on consoles; half-
glazed door, paired panelled inner doors. Single storey wings; frieze and moulded cornice, tall parapet with a coping.
End elevation of each with a pedimented gable, coping ramped over with pedestal; under each two 12-pane sash windows
with thick glazing bars, moulded architraves similar to main block; circular window to tynpanum; brick corner pilasters
and pilasters at intervals flanking an arcade of blank semi- circular head niches with emphasised imposts. Returns and
rear in plain style; some 12-pane sash windows similar to front, some 2-light casements, some with leaded lights; 2
storey bow. Single storey rubble outbuilding at right angles to rear. Interior with simple cornices; flagged entrance
hall; 3 good chimney pieces to ground floor, further C19 chimney piece; dining room with panelled chimney-breast;
staircase; 6-panelled doors. (Country Life, November 7, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST2335035883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings