This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1308 / 51°7'51"N
Longitude: -2.8057 / 2°48'20"W
OS Eastings: 343716
OS Northings: 137149
OS Grid: ST437371
Mapcode National: GBR MF.9506
Mapcode Global: VH7DM.BT2Z
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269237
Location: Ashcott, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Ashcott
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Polden Wheel
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST43NW ASHCOTT CP HIGH STREET (South side)
2/9 Church of All Saints
Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C15, much C19 alteration, particularly the broadening of the nave in 1831.
Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, tile and lead-sheeting roofs, some coped verges with cruciform
finials. Perpendicular. Nave with south porch, chancel with organ loft and heated vestry. West tower, embattled and of
2 stages, lower stage with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows, prominant gargoyles; 3-light West window,
West door with elaborate hinges, plaque adjacent with arms of Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey; stair turret to
South. Three- bay buttressed nave, 3-light windows, parapet pierced by quatrefoils. Porch with a broad 4-centred arch
outer door opening, paired wrought-iron gates; cusped niche set over; inside benched with a flag floor, stoup. Two bay
chancel, elaborate 3-light windows. Embattled vestry. Plastered interior on C20 wood block and mosaic floors. Nave with
C19 coffered ceiling, chancel with wagon roof. Chancel and tower arches both reconstructed C19, the former shafted. C15
pulpit on C19 stone plinth; Norman tub font; C19 pews, many with C15/C16 traceried ends, also some unusual C16/C17 ends
with semi-circular fluting; 6 C18 wall monuments, largest to chancel; 3 C19 wall monuments; Hanoverian Royal Arms; C19
plaque under tower commemorating local charities; C19 chancel screen, organ, choir stalls and stained glass; chancel
South window by Kempe of 1889, East window of 1898. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,
Listing NGR: ST4371637149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings