This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9651 / 52°57'54"N
Longitude: -1.1523 / 1°9'8"W
OS Eastings: 457034
OS Northings: 341190
OS Grid: SK570411
Mapcode National: GBR LNK.M7
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.8QJS
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457901
Location: Nottingham, NG3
County: City of Nottingham
Unitary Authority Ward: Mapperley
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK54SE MANSFIELD ROAD
646-1/4/389 (East side)
12/07/72 Church of St Andrew and boundary
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Andrew)
Parish church and attached boundary wall. 1869-71. By William
Knight. Baptistry at west end 1884, by SR Stevenson.
Rockfaced stone, with limestone and blue lias dressings and
slate roofs with coped gables. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: cruciform plan, with chancel, side chapels, vestry,
crossing tower, transepts, nave and aisles, western baptistry,
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, buttresses, pointed arched
windows with plate tracery.
Chancel, 2 bays, has a 3-light east window and 2 lancets on
each side. Vestry to north and chapel to south, hipped, with
east doors and 3 windows. Transepts have 2 lancets and a round
window above. Door to south transept. Crossing tower, square,
2 stages, has large single bell openings with shafts, and
tourelles topped with arcaded turrets and spires. Squat broach
spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
Nave clerestory has four 2-light windows each side. West end
has 3 lancets, and above them a wheel window and niche.
Adjoining baptistry has buttress walls and traceried parapet,
and 4 squat lancets.
Aisles have 6 lancets and single lancets at west ends.
North porch, flat roofed, with 2 windows. South porch, gabled,
with double shafts and triple niche over door.
INTERIOR, rendered, has moulded sill bands to clerestory.
Chancel has double rebated arch on imposts, and pointed wooden
barrel vault. East end has panelled wainscotting, canopied
ashlar reredos with figures, and C19 stained glass window. On
each side, pointed arch with screen. South side has double
sedila and bishop's throne under canopies, and 2 stained glass
Crossing has to north an elaborate traceried wooden screen and
crest, and to south, a Perpendicular style organ case.
Nave has arch braced common rafter roof with collars, and
4-bay arcades with round piers and moulded arches. West end
has 2 chamfered arches with a paired round central pier, 1896,
with 4 stained glass windows above.
Western baptistry has 4 stained glass windows to west, late
C19, and single stained glass windows north and south.
North aisle has east and west arches, the east one with
traceried wooden screen to chapel. Reset traceried screen to
west. 6 stained glass windows, late C19 and early C20.
North east chapel has a pointed wooden barrel vault, wooden
piscina, reredos, altar rail and screen to chancel, c1920.
South aisle has similar stained glass windows to north aisle
with screens and doors at each end.
South-east chapel, now Sunday school, has inserted ceiling.
Memorials include an elaborate alabaster war memorial tablet,
c1920, with figures and niches. Fittings include octagonal
panelled font with ringed shafts, semicircular traceried
ashlar pulpit, traceried panelled stalls and desks. Original
Attached boundary wall enclosing church and vicarage on east,
south and west sides. Rockfaced stone with chamfered ashlar
coping. Gateway to south with wrought-iron lamp bracket. Pair
of gate piers on Chestnut Grove.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5703441190
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings