This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9582 / 52°57'29"N
Longitude: -1.1487 / 1°8'55"W
OS Eastings: 457281
OS Northings: 340433
OS Grid: SK572404
Mapcode National: GBR LPM.DP
Mapcode Global: WHDGS.BX71
Entry Name: The Rose of England Public House
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457881
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: St Ann's
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/03/2012
The Rose of England Public House
(Formerly listed as No.38 The Filly and Firkin Public House)
(Formerly Listed as: MANSFIELD ROAD
No.38 The Yorker Public House)
Formerly known as: No.38 The Yorker Public House
Public house and associated caves. 1898. By Watson Fothergill
of Nottingham for the Nottingham Brewery Co., whose brewery
was alongside. Altered late C20. Red brick. Timber-framed
second floor with red brick nogging. Blue brick and ashlar
dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. Domestic
EXTERIOR: plinth, arcaded band to ground floor, string
courses, crowstepped gable. Ground floor and first floor have
mainly cross casements with stone mullions and transoms.
Second floor has wooden cross casements with leaded lights.
3 storeys plus attics; 3 x 1 windows. Corner site, with corner
feature in the form of a squat octagonal tower with spire roof
and finial. The tower has a gabled corner porch with traceried
bargeboard and double doors, flanked by cross mullioned
windows. Above, a blank bay flanked to left by a hipped oriel
window, 3 lights, and to right by a similar window set flush.
Second floor has 3 cross casements. Above again, 2 hipped
dormers with finials. To right, an elaborate coped side wall
Left return, to Mansfield Road, 2 windows, has a door to left.
On the first floor, 2 hipped oriel windows. Above, a recessed
wooden balcony with latticework balustrade, covering 2
windows. Attics have 2 hipped dormers.
Right return, 2 storeys plus attics, has a mullioned window
and above, 3 small single windows. Above again, late C20 box
INTERIOR altered mid and late C20, retaining cross beam
ceilings and cornices.
The rock-hewn cellars form part of an extensive cave system on
the east side of Mansfield Road, formerly part of the
(Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson Fothergill,
Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 9; Reprint from The Mercian
Geologist, Vol. 13, Sept. 1992: Waltham AC: The sandstone
caves of Nottingham: Nottingham: 1992-: 14; The Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 241).
Listing NGR: SK5728140433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings