This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9522 / 52°57'7"N
Longitude: -1.1416 / 1°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 457770
OS Northings: 339766
OS Grid: SK577397
Mapcode National: GBR LQP.ZV
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.F2M3
Entry Name: St Mary's School
Listing Date: 7 August 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458496
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NE PLUMPTRE PLACE
646-1/21/498 St Mary's School
Baptist chapel, later church school, now casino. Early C19,
altered 1874, converted to a school c1884-86 by Hine & Son of
Nottingham. Restored and converted following a fire, 1993.
Brick and stucco, with ashlar dressings and slate roof with
Plinth, quoins, renewed wooden eaves cornice. 2 storeys; 9
window range. Windows are mainly renewed glazing bar sashes.
The west side has 2 windows to left covered by an adjoining
building. In the fourth bay, a round-arched double doorway
with cast-iron surround, fanlight and pediment. To its left, a
window, then a late C19 door and overlight. To right, 4
windows. Above, 7 windows. All these windows have moulded
East side has to left a doorway with cast-iron surround, blank
fanlight and narrow pediment. To left, a small window, and to
right 3 renewed segment-headed cross casements. Above, 3
unequally spaced glazing bar sashes with segmental heads, and
to right, 2 round-headed margin glazed sashes. Above again, 4
round-arched windows, the outer ones with Gothick glazing
North gable, to Duke's Place, has a round-arched basement door
to left, and a 2 storey porch with similar door to right.
Above, 5 sashes, and above again, 6 sashes in groups of 3.
INTERIOR: refitted 1993, has Adam style replica plasterwork
and column cladding. Central space has at the east end a
gallery with cast-iron balustrade, carried on cast-iron Ionic
columns. Segmental arch to upper floor. On each side, panelled
wooden galleries with screens, unglazed at time of survey.
Moulded beams to flat wooden ceiling.
(Get to know Nottingham: Oldfield G: The Lace Market:
Nottingham: 1990-: 23-26).
Listing NGR: SK5777039766
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings