This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1502 / 51°9'0"N
Longitude: -3.0623 / 3°3'44"W
OS Eastings: 325793
OS Northings: 139525
OS Grid: ST257395
Mapcode National: GBR M3.7S07
Mapcode Global: VH7DG.VCY4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268856
Location: Cannington, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Cannington
Built-Up Area: Cannington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23NE CANNINGTON CP CHURCH STREET (East side)
12/9 Church of St Mary
(formerly listed under General)
Parish church. Tower late C14, remainder rebuilt early C15, restored 1840 by Richard Carver, further C19 alterations.
Coursed red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, large slate roof overall, embattled parapets to aisles, prominent
gargoyles. All Perpendicular; nave with North and South aisles, which partially clasp the West tower, South porch, rood
stair turret to North, chancel with North vestry. Embattled 4-stage West tower, set-back buttresses, 2-light
bell-chamber windows; West doorway flanked by 2 pairs of gabled niches and a further niche set over. Five bay arcaded
nave, 3-light windows with transoms. Tall South porch with a stoup, panelled South doorway. Nave arcade with tall piers
of 4-hollows section; moulded tower arch, above the marks of an earlier and lower nave roof; short chancel with no
chancel arch, 5-light West window. Scraped interior, wagon roof to nave/chancel with ribs and coloured bosses, lean-to
roof to North and South aisles with angel corbels. Upper entrance to rood evident. Earliest feature a composite pier
with an attached shalt, now in the vestry. Particularly fully fitted interior including a late C14/early C15 octagonal
font; C15 rood and par close screens with C19 refurbishment; restored C15 pulpit on a C19 base; in the chancel a foiled
piscina and an aumbry, further piscina to South aisle; reredos of 1893 by Powells with encaustic panels, further
encaustic tiles to chancel floor; C18 wrought-iron screen to North aisle formerly around tomb of Hugh, 2nd Lord
Clifford, by Edney of Bristol; royal arms of Charles II over South door; 2 C17 chests, C17 altar table to South aisle,
2 C17 coffin stools, two pews incorporating much C17 work; altar frontal of C18 under tower; C19 choir stalls and pews;
C19 stained glass; fragment of a medieval brass to chancel; 3 C18 tablets; further CI9 tablets; members of Pym family
buried in South aisle. The Church is directly adjacent to Cannington Court (qv) and is postulated as the former church
of a house of Benedictine Nuns which existed on that site, founded cll38. (VCH forthcoming; Pevsner, Buildings of
England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST2579639533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings