This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2944 / 51°17'40"N
Longitude: -2.8677 / 2°52'3"W
OS Eastings: 339596
OS Northings: 155393
OS Grid: ST395553
Mapcode National: GBR JC.YMCP
Mapcode Global: VH7CT.7QTJ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059079
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268803
Location: Compton Bishop, Sedgemoor, Somerset, BS26
Civil Parish: Compton Bishop
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST35NE COMPTON BISHOP CP CHURCH LANE (West side)
1/145 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C13, C15, C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, slate and double Roman tile roofs, coped verges.
Nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, west tower. Predominantly Perpendicular. Plain 3-stage tower with angled
buttresses and a stair turret, 2 light bell-openings to top stage, pierced parapet, corner pinnacles. Nave and aisle
with 2 and 3-light Perpendicular windows; similar 5-light east windows. C13 outer doorway to porch with a trefoiled
arch on 3 detached Purbeck shafts, inner doorway on one order of similar shafts. Two bay chancel with small plain
2-light windows, each light with a trefoiled head. Earliest internal feature the Norman tub font with a cover dated
1617. Double chamfered chancel arch of C13 on leaf corbels, contemporary the double piscina and aumbry. Four bay arcade
to aisle with piers of 4 clustered shafts, arches with 2 quadrant mouldings, c1400, though restored. Fine C15 pulpit
with tracery panels, carved friezes and cresting; above the pulpit a large pedimented wall monument to William Prowse
of 1751. Five further C19 wall monuments, and a wooden panel commemorating the establishment of a charity. C17 chest.
Some stained glass to east window of 1375. Arched braced roofs, earliest to chancel, that to nave of C19.
Listing NGR: ST3959655393
Other nearby listed buildings