This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2695 / 51°16'10"N
Longitude: -2.8674 / 2°52'2"W
OS Eastings: 339584
OS Northings: 152620
OS Grid: ST395526
Mapcode National: GBR MC.07CG
Mapcode Global: VH7D0.7CZ4
Entry Name: Church of St Congar
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059100
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268751
Location: Badgworth, Sedgemoor, Somerset, BS26
Civil Parish: Badgworth
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST35SE BADGWORTH CP CHURCH LANE (West side)
4/95 Church of St Congar
Parish church. C14 chancel; nave with south porch; north chapel of cl340 with west porch and door; further work of C16
including west tower. Squared rubble, slate roof, coped verges. Tall thin 4-stage tower with angle buttresses up first
and second stages, corner pinnacles, pierced parapet; west door of 1709, restored 1909. Three-bay nave, 2-bay chancel,
extensively rebuilt 1854, the former retaining large Perpendicular windows, the latter remodelled in a Decorated style;
south door to nave remains C14 with quadrant mouldings, door with decorated tracery. North chapel with 2 light
decorated-east window with a rere-arch, a similar west window blocked, below it a door opening with a cusped head,
(screened by the organ at time of re-survey). Interior with C14 tower arch of 3 continuous quadrant mouldings double
chamfered chancel arch of similar date. C14 piscina in a gabled niche; opposite the tomb of Jon De Hampton in a recess
with an ogee headed archway; squint to north chapel incorporating a piscina; 2 bay arcade to north chapel; some C18
panelling. Jacobean pulpit on C16, stone base reused from an earlier pulpit, 4 figures in gabled niches. Font on 4
clustered shafts probably C13. All stained glass late C19 by George Kempe.5 C19 wall monuments; one of C18 in north
chapel; hammered brass plaque in an Art Noveau style of 1901 to south nave wall. C16 benches, ends with plain thin
poppey heads. Aid C19 organ. Head corbels for a parvise in porch. C18 chest. C19 roofs. (Pevsner, The Buildings of
England, North soierset and Bristol,1958).
Listing NGR: ST3958452620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings