This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1384 / 51°8'18"N
Longitude: -2.4808 / 2°28'50"W
OS Eastings: 366456
OS Northings: 137788
OS Grid: ST664377
Mapcode National: GBR MW.8H9R
Mapcode Global: VH8B7.YNC5
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268463
Location: Milton Clevedon, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Milton Clevedon
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST63NE VEDON CP BRUTON ROAD (East side, off)
Church of St. James
Anglican parish church, Parts ofer rebuilt 1790, extensively restored cl865. Coursed and squared rubble
and ashlar, freestone dressings, tile roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave, chancel, north and south
transepts, south porch, west tower, Gothic survival and neo-Perpendicular. Three stage tower with
diagonal buttresses, pierced par; pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows, Y-tracery, stone grilles;
further 2-light window to west, datestone 1790, inscription plaque, west doorway altered mid C19,
early/mid C19 memorial plaque onee bay nave, 3-light traceried pointed-arch windows, north and south
doorways, to north blocked, to s set over with figures. Transepts with traceried 2 and 3-light pointed
arch windows, parapets with copith a C17 and 2 C18 external monuments. Single bay chancel, 2 and
3-light traceried pointed arch wr plastered on tile, encaustic tile and flagstone floors. Elaborate Cl9
roofs on C19 carved corbels. Pan tower, chancel, and transepts, those to tower and north transept appear
entirely C19, whilst chancel arcouth transept appear to be C15. Interior fittings predominantly of the
restoration including elaborate d font with cover; pews, choir-stalls, altar rails, reredos with painted
decalogue panels, lectern, oil l, small organ, high quality stained glass. Recumbent stone full-sized
effigy of 3 priest to north side 325, the face re-cut. Small amount of medieval stained glass to top
lights on north transept window pedestal in south transept, inscription, Norman style though probably C18.
Jacobean cupboard which appears eated from a small altar table; Jacobean chest; restored C17 chair. Good
early C18 wall monument to Susan marble, with central urn under a canopy of curtains, open segmental
pediment on fluted pilasters, in high quality lettering. Three C19 wall monuments. Five bells. (Pevsner,
N., Buildings of England, South set, l958; Photographs in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, 24, i, 42).
Listing NGR: ST6645637788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings