This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1463 / 51°8'46"N
Longitude: -2.5026 / 2°30'9"W
OS Eastings: 364937
OS Northings: 138679
OS Grid: ST649386
Mapcode National: GBR MV.83RC
Mapcode Global: VH8B7.KGT3
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268418
Location: Evercreech, Mendip, Somerset, BA4
Civil Parish: Evercreech
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
EVERCREECH CP HIGH STREET (South side)
14/209 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church. C14, C15, restored 182S by Jesse Gane of Evercreech and 1843, further late C19 work. Ashlar and
coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, slate and lead sheeting roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles,
south vestry, west tower, Perpendicular. Three-stage tower with set-back buttresses ascending to pinnacles, very tall
transomed 2-light bell-chamber windows upon each face, predominantly blank, some stone grilles; embattled parapet with
quatrefoil piercing, big corner pinnacles, smaller intermediate pinnacles, niche with defaced figure to west, 4-light
west window with much restored tracery, west doorway with moulded 4-centred head surround, ornamental spandrels, paired
ribbed doors. This tower is of the East Mendip type. Four bay nave, 3-light clerestorey windows, quatrefoil parapet,
pinnacles. Four bay buttressed north and south aisles, similar parapets, pinnacles, gargoyles, 3-light windows; the
south rebuilt 1843 when the south doorway and porch were removed; small neo-medieval vestry with south door. Two bay
chancel, solid parapet with pinnacles end a small urn (C18?) on the east gable apex; a 2 and a 3-light square-headed
window to south, each light with a cusped field; this wall also with a slender 2-stage ashlar buttress and a tripartite
C18 wall monument; on north wall 2 two-light windows with cusping, labels, 2 ashlar buttresses; 3-light east window
with reticulated tracery. Interior plastered on wood block and encaustic tile floors. Nave with very fine tie- beam
roof with bosses, arcading, angel busts, and the crest of the Duke of Somerset, who was Lord Protector of Edward VI,
trio whole with restored medieval colouring, carved stoop angel corbels; chancel with C19 plaster ceiling, cornice and
ribbing. Lofty moulded Perpendicular chancel arch of 4 orders. Four-bay arcades to north and south aisles, piers of
4-hollows section. Fittings predominantly late C19 including reredos, sedilia, altar rails, choir stalls, brass eagle
lectern, pews, stone pulpit, and stone font. Organ built in 1870. North and south galleries to aisles, Gothic Revival,
constructed 1825 and 1843 respectively; the north obscures carved stone corbels which appear to support an early roof,
below gallery a pier with 2 carved angel corbels set low down. Further west gallery under the tower which appears to
incorporate reused medieval work. C19 painting of the Transfiguration; 3 painted achievements stored in north gallery.
Pair of large brass candelabra, probably C18. Collection of C18 leather fire buckets. C17 wall monument in south aislei
several good C18 and early Cl9 wall monuments. Stained glass, late C19 to the east and west windows. Small Jacobean
chest on turned legs. Pre-Reforiation bell. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somrrset, 1958 SANHS
Proceedings, 24, i, 26; Illustrated John Buckler, 1833).
Listing NGR: ST6493638678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings