This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.553 / 51°33'10"N
Longitude: -1.1481 / 1°8'53"W
OS Eastings: 459158
OS Northings: 184138
OS Grid: SU591841
Mapcode National: GBR 91L.JKJ
Mapcode Global: VHCYW.17W8
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 20 June 1972
Last Amended: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248007
Location: Moulsford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Moulsford
Built-Up Area: Moulsford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
MOULSFORD THE STREET
SU58SE (East side)
5/123 Church of St. John the Baptist
20/06/72 (Formerly listed as St. John
the Baptist's Church)
Church. c.1846 on old foundations. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Flint and stone
base with stone dressings; flint and stone with stone dressings; old plain-tile
roof; wood bell tower with splay-footed shingled roof to left. Early English
style. 3-bay nave, north aisle, and chancel ,with west tower. Central open
timber framed porch to 2-centred arched doorway with hood mould. Plank door with
wrought iron hinges. Paired lancet to left. Paired trefoil-tapped lancet to
right of centre. Trefoil-topped lancet to right. 3-light east window with
Reticulated tracery. Single lancet to centre of north aisle. Paired lancet to
left and right. Paired lancet to right return of aisle. Paired trefoil-topped
lancet to right of nave. Single lancet to east end. Interior: arch-braced roof
to nave; barrel-vault roof to chancel. C19 stained glass to chancel. Piscina to
right of chancel. Richly carved pulpit, lecturn and choir stalls. Wooden arcaded
communion rail. 3 segmental pointed arches to north aisle, corbelled to aisle
side. Octagonal C19 font with carved quatrefoil to each side. Good series of
wall monuuments of c.1694 to east end.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.507; Buildings Buildings of England: Berkshire,
p. 179; David Cole, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott, 1980, p.39).
Listing NGR: SU5915884138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings