This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5889 / 51°35'20"N
Longitude: -1.1285 / 1°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 460469
OS Northings: 188143
OS Grid: SU604881
Mapcode National: GBR 917.9J4
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.DB79
Entry Name: White Cross House
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247972
Location: Cholsey, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cholsey
Civil Parish/community: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cholsey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 68 NW CHOLSEY READING ROAD
White Cross House
House. Mid C18 with C19 additions and alterations. Grey brick with red brick
dressings; old plain-tile hipped roof; various brick stacks. 2 storeys and
attic. 3-window range. Sash door to centre with Gothick panelling to base. C19
square brick battlemented porch with 4-centred stone arch with trefoil carving
to spandrels and hood mould with carved end stops. 2-storey angled bays to left
and right with stone mullion and transom windows with hood moulds and carved
end-stops. Flat brick band between ground and first floor. Stone cross-window to
first floor centre. Hood-mould. Stone mullion and transom windows to bays to
left and right with hood moulds. Flat brick band below battlemented parapet to
eaves. 3 gabled dormers to roof.
Right hand wing has an inset stone plaque, at eaves level, inscribed "The free Land Extends two feet to the southward of this building 1774". Interior: Hall has the unusual survival of a mid C18 Chinese Chippendale full height stair; late C18/early C19 doors of6 fielded panels with panelled frame soffits. left hand front room contains panels of Gothic blind tracery used as cupboards and dado; carved timber Gothic pelmet to bay window. Right hand front room with C18 fire surround and cornice; alcoves to either side of fire filled with curious small cupboards, each with a panelled door. Rear right hand room with late C18/ earlyC19 enriched cornice and moulded plaster Adam style frieze. Kitchen to left has tall plain fire surround and built in plain panelled cupboards to right; door with 6 fielded panels and HL hinges. Upper rooms retain various C18 and C19 fireplaces and doors. Cellar retains an C18 lattice larder door with HL hinges. C19 extensions to left and right; red brick with grey brick headers in Flemish bond; plain-tile roof.
2-storey single window ranges with mullion and transom windows. C19 single
storey and attic cross-gabled extensions to left and right ends.
Listing NGR: SU6046988143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings