This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6175 / 51°37'3"N
Longitude: -1.0683 / 1°4'5"W
OS Eastings: 464604
OS Northings: 191380
OS Grid: SU646913
Mapcode National: GBR B28.DRW
Mapcode Global: VHCYJ.FLLV
Entry Name: School House and Archway
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 28 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247805
Location: Ewelme, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Ewelme
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ewelme
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
EWELME HIGH STREET
SU6491 (North side)
8/96 School House and archway
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as School
House. c.1450 with C18 alterations. Red brick; old plain-tile roof; brick
stacks. 2-storey, 2-window range. 6-panel door to centre. Tripartite sash to
right. Single-pane window to first floor centre. 12-pane segmental-headed
unhorned sash to first floor right. Massive lateral stack to left. Massive end
stack to right. Crow-stepped end gable to right. Rear: C18 front, 2 storey,
6-window range with irregular fenestration of sashes. Interior not inspected but
likely to be of interest. Subsidiary wing of single storey and attic to left,
joined with a brick squinch. Lancet to ground floor. 3-light gabled half-dormer.
Mid C15 gateway to right of Tudor arch flanked by angled buttresses with
embattled coping. Part of the complex of buildings built at the expense of the
Earl and Countess of Suffolk. The Countess (nee Alice Chaucer) was born at
Ewelme in 1409, the daughter of Thomas Chaucer, the lord of the manor, and
grand-daughter of Geoffrey, the poet. She married William de la Pole, Earl of
Suffolk in 1430 (created Duke of Suffolk 1448). The use of brick is one of the
earliest in the county.
(Malcolm Airs "Ewelme" Archaelogical Journal, Vol.135, 1978, pp.275-280;
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.595-600; Guide to St. Mary's Church,
Ewelme, and to the AInshouse and to the School).
Listing NGR: SU6460191387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings