This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6247 / 51°37'28"N
Longitude: -1.0901 / 1°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 463081
OS Northings: 192152
OS Grid: SU630921
Mapcode National: GBR B27.173
Mapcode Global: VHCYJ.2F1C
Entry Name: Fifield Manor
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059361
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247730
Location: Benson, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Benson
Built-Up Area: Benson
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Benson
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BENSON BROOK STREET
SU69SW (south side)
Shown on O.S. map as Fifield House.
House. C12, early C18 alterations, with early C19 third floor, stucco front, and
alterations. Stucco, probably on limestone; roof not visible; rendered stacks. 3
storey, 8-window range. 2:4:2. Tetrastyle Doric portico to ground floor centre.
C19 five-panelled door to centre with flanking single-light windows. 12-pane
sashes to ground and first floors. 9-pane sashes to second floor. All windows
have architrave surround and first floor central 4 windows have bracketted
cornices. Flat band between ground and first floor and between first and second
floor. Cornice to eaves with brackets to central 4 bays. Right return has C13
window of Geometrical tracery of 2 lights. Left return has some C12 windows
exposed. Interior: Early C18 panelling to entrance hall and study (ground floor
right). Early C19 open well staircase to hall with cast iron balustrade.
History: C12 house, owned by Bishop of Lincoln, held by Philip de Hogville
(Sheriff of Surrey 1281). In ownership of Sir Edmund Rede of Burstall (left in
his will dated 21st February 1488/9 to his grandson) but passed to Leonard Rede
of Burstall. Passed by marriage to Dinhan family. Passed to Stampe family in
late C16. In early C19 third floor added with consequent removal of original
roof, and front took present form.
(Victoria County History: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, p.3; Oxfordshire Record Society,
1958, p.45; Berks, Bucks and Oxon Archaeological Journal IX (1903); Buildings of
England: Oxfordshire, p.451).
Listing NGR: SU6308192152
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings