This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6273 / 51°37'38"N
Longitude: -0.9811 / 0°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 470627
OS Northings: 192550
OS Grid: SU706925
Mapcode National: GBR B25.YKM
Mapcode Global: VHDW0.YC6B
Entry Name: Watlington Park
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247584
Location: Watlington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Watlington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watlington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
3/113 Watlington Park
Country House. Built c.1755 for John Tilson. English bond brick; hipped Welsh
slate roof; internal brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic;
5-window range. Central 3-bay pedimented block, with lunette in tympanum. Stone
Doric porch with triglyph frieze; late C19 double-leaf doors. Gauged red brick
flat arches over sashes. Ashlar string course; modillioned eaves cornice. 4 roof
dormers. Similar rear elevation and right side wall has canted bay. Interior:
hall has marble floor and fireplace, and architectural trompe l'oeil decoration
by Philip Tilden, 1921. Panelled doors, some set in bolection-moulded
architraves. Panelled rooms to left have finely carved mid C18 fireplaces and
plaster cornices. Drawing Room to right has fine marble fireplace; modillioned
cornice on torus moulding; rococo plasterwork on ceiling wreathed in foliage,
with swans in end panels; Ionic columns at both ends of room. Open well
staircase with twisted balusters and ramped handrails. First floor has panelled
rooms with plaster cornices, similar doors; early C19 marble fireplaces except
C18 cast-iron grate to right. Dog-leg service stairs with turned balusters to
rear left. Watlington Park was sold to John Tilson, son of the Under-Secretary
of State, by the Stonors in 1753.
(Christopher Hussey, Watlington Park, Country Life, Vol.CXXV, pp.81-21, 60-63;
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.831-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.8, p.213).
Listing NGR: SU7062792550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings