History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Kidmore End, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5085 / 51°30'30"N

Longitude: -0.9951 / 0°59'42"W

OS Eastings: 469839

OS Northings: 179319

OS Grid: SU698793

Mapcode National: GBR B3Q.78P

Mapcode Global: VHDWL.PBTX

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 16 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247379

Location: Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Kidmore End

Built-Up Area: Kidmore End

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kidmore End

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Caversham

Listing Text

KIDMORE END WOOD LANE
SU67NE (South side)
9/161 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Church. 1852. By Arthur Billing. Vestry added 1894. Knapped flint with stone
dressings; plain tile roof. 4-bay nave with apse. Early English style. Gabled
porch to right of centre with 2-centred arched doorway with glazed C20 double
door. Single lancet to each bay except paired lancet to left. Octagonal apse
with lancet window to each face. 2 lancet windows to west end with quatrefoil
window above. Lancet windows to south side. Vestry in similar style under
catslide roof. Gabled roof to nave with hipped roof to apse. Bellcote to west
end gable. Interior: Stone octagonal font with carved panels to principal faces,
on marble columns with stepped base. Stone pulpit with Salviati mosaic panels to
left of apse arch. Organ to right of apse arch with painted decoration to pipes.
Piscina to left of altar. Sedilia to right of altar. Reredos of blind trefoil
arches to three sides of the apse. Ornamental glazed faience tiles to floor of
apse. Wooden truss roof to nave. Painted brick vault to apse with decorated
ribs. A small church with good fittings.
(Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, p.672-3).


Listing NGR: SU6983979319

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Well
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Well Cottage
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Pond House
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Cromwell Cottage
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Post Cottage
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Butlers Farmhouse
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Emmens Cottage
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
  • II Vines Farmhouse
    Kidmore End, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.