This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5715 / 51°34'17"N
Longitude: -1.1227 / 1°7'21"W
OS Eastings: 460897
OS Northings: 186210
OS Grid: SU608862
Mapcode National: GBR 91F.JYT
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.HRBN
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247229
Location: Crowmarsh, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Crowmarsh
Built-Up Area: North Stoke
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: North Stoke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CROWMARSH CHURCH LANE
SU68NW (South side)
2/11 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13, C14, C15 porch, early C18 top to tower. Flint with stone dressings;
red brick dressing to top of tower; plain tile roof. Nave, chancel and west
tower. Porch to right of centre: brick base; 2-centre wooden arch to front;
original studded door to church in stone 2-centred archway with damaged hood
mould and damaged carved end stops. Three 2-light Y-tracery windows to nave. 3
pointed lancets to chancel. Single trefoil topped lancet to chancel. 2-centred
arched doorway to chancel with moulded hood. Tower to right; pointed lancer with
hood mould with end stops to first stage. C18 round-headed openings with brick
dressings to second stage. C18 round-headed louvred opening with brick dressings
to third stage. Shaped brick cornice; shaped parapet to roof with stone ball
finials to corners. Rear: Blocked 2-centre arched doorway to left of centre with
hood mould. Three 2-light Y-tracery windows to nave. 3 pointed lancets and
rectangular window to chancel. Carved head and hands holding stone sun dial
above blocked door. Left return: 3-light probably C19 plate tracery window.
Interior: C13 pisinca and aumbry to chancel. Romanesque round font on hexagonal
pillar on round base. Probably C14 wall paintings to nave. Transitional chancel
arch. Jacobean wooden pulpit with sounding board. Jacobean choir stalls with
linenfold panels to front. Queen post roof to nave with windbraces.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.723-4).
Listing NGR: SU6089586210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings