This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.603 / 51°36'10"N
Longitude: -1.1201 / 1°7'12"W
OS Eastings: 461034
OS Northings: 189717
OS Grid: SU610897
Mapcode National: GBR 911.KLZ
Mapcode Global: VHCYH.JZP0
Entry Name: Remains of Queen's Tower at Su 6102 8971
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249217
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD CASTLE LANE
SU6189 (East side)
8/58 Remains of Queen's Tower at
09/12/49 SU 6102 8971
(Formerly listed as Remains
of Queen's Tower and fragments
of Castle Wall)
Fragment of wall, probably former tower. Probably C13 with alterations. Coursed
squared limestone to west face; flint with tile bands to lower portion of east
face; flint and stone mixture to upper portion of east face. Convex curve to
west. Approx. 5m. long and 6m. high. History: Wallingford Castle was begun in
1067 by order of William the Conqueror; supervised by Robert D'Oyley. Motte and
Bailey Castle completed in 1071. Castle expanded in C13 under King John, and
King Henry III when it was held by Richard, Earl of Cornwall. In 1307 the castle
and town were given by Edward II to Piers Gaveston, created Baron Wallingford
In 1335 Edward III gave the castle to his son Edward, The Black Prince, Duke of
Cornwall, who spent large sums on repairs and improvements. Held during most of
C15 by Chaucer and de la Pole families of Ewelme. By 1540's the castle had
fallen into disrepair and stone was being used for other buildings in the town.
During the Civil War it was fortified as a Royalist stronghold. Charles I
inspected the new works in 1643. Siege of Wallingford in 1646 when colonel
Blagge was besieged for 16 weeks by Cromwell's troops. On 17th November 1652
Cromwell's Council of State ordered its demolition. This fragment traditionally
thought to form part of the Queen's Tower. It stands on a raised earth work. The
Castle is scheduled as an ancient monument.
("Wallingford Castle, a brief guide", 1984; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923,
p.523-531; Buildings of England: Berkshire, 1966, p.248).
WALLINGFORD CASTLE LANE .
Remains of St. Nicholas s
See under Castle Lane (West side).
Listing NGR: SU6102089710
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings