This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.601 / 51°36'3"N
Longitude: -1.1276 / 1°7'39"W
OS Eastings: 460519
OS Northings: 189493
OS Grid: SU605894
Mapcode National: GBR 911.HQZ
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.D0RZ
Entry Name: Flint Cottage flint House
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249255
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD HIGH STREET
SU6089SE (North side)
11/87 Nos.52 (Flint House) and 53
09/12/49 (Flint Cottage)
(Formerly listed as Flint
House and No.53 (Flint
House, now museum and dwelling. Probably mid C16 with later alterations. Flint
and stone mixture with stone dressings; plain-tile roof; C20 rebuilt brick ridge
stack to left with diagonally set outer flues, various brick stacks. Probably
originally double-ended Hall house with cross-wings, indicated by continuation
of quoins of cross-gables visible to centre first floor wall. 2 storeys and
attic; 3-window range. 6-panel door with overlight and rusticated round-topped
stone surround to left of centre. 6-panel door with decorative overlight and
flat hood to right of centre. Tripartite unhorned sashes with glazing bars and
plain stone surrounds to left and centre. 3-light casements with painted stone
surround to right. Three 4-light stone mullion and transom windows with hood
moulds to first floor. 3 cross-gables have stone dressings. Centre cross-gable
has brick dressings continuing into first floor wall. 2-light stone mullion
windows to left and right cross-gable, that to left having hood mould. 3-light
stone mullion window to centre. Rear: large timber framing with some angle
bracing to first floor with painted infill. Interior: C20 alterations to form
museum. Areas of timber framing visible. Flint Cottage noted as having portions
of canted bay window with diamond mullions. Single-storey wing to right,
2-window range. Probably late C18. Red brick wth flared headers in Flemish bond;
old plain-tile roof. History: site granted in 1546 to John Norreys.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.518; "Some Notes on the Domestic
Architecture of Wallingford, Berkshire", by P.S. Spokes in Berkshire
Archaeological Journal, Vol.50, 1947; "Historic Wallingford, a walk-round guide"'
by J and S Dewey, 1982).
Listing NGR: SU6051989493
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings