This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.688 / 51°41'16"N
Longitude: -1.0052 / 1°0'18"W
OS Eastings: 468867
OS Northings: 199275
OS Grid: SU688992
Mapcode National: GBR B1K.4PJ
Mapcode Global: VHDVM.JTGV
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249150
Location: Wheatfield, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wheatfield
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wheatfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
16/136 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C14, restored and remodelled c.1730 for the Rudge family. Render, on
stone rubble, with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; wood bellcote to ridge.
3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, and west porch. Porch has 8-panel door with moulded
stone eared architrave surround with pulvinated frieze and triangular pediment,
the cornice of which forms string-course round the porch. C14 blocked doorways
with 2-centre arched heads to both sides of nave. 2 round-headed C18 windows to
nave with leaded-lights. C18 round-headed window to chancel. Battlemented
parapet to nave and chancel and end gables. Rear: 2 round-headed C18 windows to
nave with leaded lights. C18 round-headed window to chancel. East end: Venetian
window with leaded lights. West end: round-headed C18 window above porch.
Interior: C14 three-bay king-post roof to nave; plaster vault to chancel. Early
C18 fittings include altar table; altar rail; box pews, family pew with frieze
of pierced scroll work; pulpit, with tester; reading desk; and stone font on
vase-baluster. Monument to John Rudge c.1730 by P. Scheemakers of pedimented
Corinthian frame on brackets, surmounted by reclining cherubs and urn. West
window has C18 armorial stained glass. East window by Morris and Co. c.1898.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.836-7; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire,
Vol.VIII, 1964, p.272-3).
Listing NGR: SU6886399273
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings