This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6878 / 51°41'15"N
Longitude: -1.0074 / 1°0'26"W
OS Eastings: 468713
OS Northings: 199244
OS Grid: SU687992
Mapcode National: GBR B1K.442
Mapcode Global: VHDVM.HV91
Entry Name: Wheatfield Park Coach House, Stables and Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 5 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249154
Location: Wheatfield, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wheatfield
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wheatfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 6899 WHEATFIELD
Wheatfield Park coach
18.7.63 house, stables and
listed as Park Farmhouse)
Coach house and stables, part now converted to farmhouse. c.1730. For John Rudge.
Coach house: red brick to end walls and rear; wood Doric columns support red brick
parapet; old plain-tile hipped roof with central wall; wood cupola. 3-bay coach
house. 4 Doric columns support parapet with moulded stone-dressed false pediment.
Double plank doors with round tops between columns, except C20 plank infill to left.
Round window to tympanum of pediment. Stone ball-finials to ends of parapet. Cupola
to centre of roof, having square base; octagonal, boarded, second stage; octagonal
dome. Interior not inspected. Flanking stables, at right angles, connected by walls
with doorways, forming courtyard. Stables, to left and right, of red brick, with plum
brick panels, and stone dressings; old plain-tile hipped roofs. Single-storey, 9-bay
ranges. The central 3 bays project forward. Each bay has double rubbed-brick arch on
flat piers. Moulded stone cornice to base of parapet. Moulded stone false pediment
with brick tympanum to centre 3 bays. Moulded stone coping to parapet. Most stable
openings have either plum brick infill with fanlights above or C20 doors. Interiors
not inspected. Opposing ends of stables to coach house have brick walls with piers
having stone ball finials forming entrance approach.Formerly the stable block to
Wheatfield Park, destroyed by fire in 1814. (Buildings of England; Oxfordehire, 1974,
p.837; V.C.H.; Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.264-5).
Listing NGR: SU6871399244
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings