This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6882 / 51°41'17"N
Longitude: -1.0204 / 1°1'13"W
OS Eastings: 467816
OS Northings: 199276
OS Grid: SU678992
Mapcode National: GBR B1K.0VZ
Mapcode Global: VHDVM.8TFQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059697
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249008
Location: Stoke Talmage, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stoke Talmage
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Talmage
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
18/07/63 Church of St. Mary Magdalen
Church. C13, rebuilt 1758: south porch, vestry and north aisle added 1860 by
Giles Gilbert Scott: east window of 1907 by G.E. Coleridge. Limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings; gabled mid C19 tile roof. Chancel and single-aisled nave
with west tower. Gothic Revival style. Perpendicular-style east window flanked
by offset buttresses. South chancel wall has pointed trefoil-headed lancet.
North chapel and north aisle have plain 2-light Y-tracery windows; pointed
lancet in west end of north aisle. Two similar Y-tracery windows in south wall
of nave. Gabled south porch with pointed double-chamfered doorway. West tower
has pointed and part-blocked roll-moulded doorway with impost blocks: reset C13
lancets. Interior: mid C19 oak reredos and Decorated-style piscina. Mid C19
chancel arch has jamb shafts with re-used early C13 foliate capitals. Nave has
mid C19 pulpit, lectern and pews, and brasses to John Adeane (d.1594) and wife,
and John Petre (d.1589) and wife. 3-bay arcade to north aisle, which has C17 oak
carving re-used as Georgian Royal Arms. Octagonal mid C19 pulpit in west tower.
Stained glass: fine figures of c.1850 by Hardman in chancel east and side
windows. In south window of nave is window by Mottis and Son, 1904.
(Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, pp. 789-790)
Listing NGR: SU6781699276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings