This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6907 / 51°41'26"N
Longitude: -0.9938 / 0°59'37"W
OS Eastings: 469645
OS Northings: 199581
OS Grid: SU696995
Mapcode National: GBR B1D.TTJ
Mapcode Global: VHDVM.QRGS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249019
Location: Adwell, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Adwell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Adwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
17/5 Church of St. Mary
Church. c.1865, incorporating some earlier features. By A.W. Blomfield for H.
Birch Reynardson. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; stone
bellcote; stone chimney stack to ridge of chancel chapel. 4-bay nave; chancel
with chancel chapels. Gothic Revival style. Porch to left of nave with re-set
Romanesque doorway of moulded round arch on columns; C19 plank door. 2-light
windows of reticulated tracery to nave. 2-light Y-tracery window to chancel
chapel. Rear: lancets to nave, except 2-light window of reticulated tracery to
right. 2-light Y-tracery window to chancel chapel. East end: 3-light
intersecting tracery window. West end: central buttress, supporting ornate stone
bellcote, with flanking lancets. Interior: scissor-braced roofs to chancel and
chapels; arch-braced collar-truss roof with king-posts to nave; Minton encaustic
tile reredos; sedilia with re-set Early English tracery; Gothick-style monument
to Frances Webb, c.1846 to north chancel chapel; effigy of knight holding his
heart, partly covered by shield, c.1300, to north wall of nave. C19 font on
cluster columns; east window by H. Hughes.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.419; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII,
Listing NGR: SU6964599581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings