This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6809 / 51°40'51"N
Longitude: -1.0255 / 1°1'31"W
OS Eastings: 467471
OS Northings: 198464
OS Grid: SU674984
Mapcode National: GBR B1J.KKG
Mapcode Global: VHDVT.50QR
Entry Name: Hamlet House
Listing Date: 3 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248984
Location: Pyrton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Pyrton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
4/138 Nos.1 to 4 (consecutive)
Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Late C16/early C17, remodelled and extended c.1740.
Originally timber-framed: light timber framing on left side of rear wing. Front
of mid C18 English bond brick: right side wall of chalk rubble. Gabled C20 and
old tile roof; brick end and ridge stacks, and large C17 ridge stack. L-plan
with right wing. 2 storeys; 5-window range. C20 door and porch to left, cambered
arch over C20 door to right, Similar arches over C20 two-light casements,
including 2 to left in rebuilt openings; timber lintels over similar first floor
casements except two C19 casements to right. Early C19 ranges to rear. Mid C18
two-storey rear left wing of English bond brick with gabled old tile roof and
C20 rear bay. Interior: chamfered ogee-stopped beams; mid C18 dog-leg with
winders staircase to rear has turned balusters on closed string: rear wall has
exposed timber framing. Roof and section to right not inspected but likely to be
of interest. The house is shown on estate maps of 1730 and 1735, when it was
owned by the Franklin family who paid for 5 hearths in Clare in 1665. It was
converted and extended as 6 cottages in the early C19. There are remains of a
deserted medieval settlement in the area.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.141).
Listing NGR: SU6747198464
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings