This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6517 / 51°39'6"N
Longitude: -1.0376 / 1°2'15"W
OS Eastings: 466680
OS Northings: 195204
OS Grid: SU666952
Mapcode National: GBR B1X.GHF
Mapcode Global: VHCYB.YRV5
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Rood
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248929
Location: Cuxham with Easington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cuxham with Easington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cuxham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CUXHAM WITH EASINGTON CUXHAM
12/83 Church of the Holy Rood
Church. Early C12, early C14 and mid C18 alterations; chancel rebuilt 1895 by
C.C. Rolfe. Coursed chalk rubble, limestone ashlar dressings; chancel of coursed
and dressed limestone; gabled late C19 tile roof, except old tiles on part of
nave roof and pyramidal old tile tower roof. Chancel, nave and west tower. Hood
moulds over 3 ogee-headed east lights; north vestry has chamfered light and
pointed chamfered doorway; 3-light south window. Nave has early C14 two-light
ogee-headed windows and two C18 memorial tablets to north, and 2 mid C18 2-light
round-arched brick-mullioned windows to south. West tower has string-course,
round-headed lancets and rebuilt early C12 doorway, with rebuilt arch, interlace
capitals set on spiral-fluted jamb shafts and stones at base of jambs with
scrolled carvings: C18 studded door. Rebuilt round-arched west doorway has some
early C12 billet-carved voussoirs: late C19 double-leaf doors. Interior: chancel
of 1895 has sedilia, piscina and pointed chancel arch. Nave has C17 panelled
pulpit reset on late C19 base and 13 rows of early C18 pews, with bolection
panelled rear of south wall. Floor tablet inscribed M.B./1688, and brass to John
Gregory, d.1501, with 2 wives and children; late C19 font; early C19 wall
monument in memory of Mary Gregory, d. 1688, and two C19 wall tablets. C18
two-tier 4-bay queen-post roof with curved arch braces.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.567-8).
Listing NGR: SU6667895206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings