History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culham Station Ticket Office and Waiting Room

A Grade II* Listed Building in Culham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6538 / 51°39'13"N

Longitude: -1.2364 / 1°14'11"W

OS Eastings: 452920

OS Northings: 195276

OS Grid: SU529952

Mapcode National: GBR 90B.66Z

Mapcode Global: VHCY7.JP6K

Entry Name: Culham Station Ticket Office and Waiting Room

Listing Date: 20 May 1975

Last Amended: 16 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248815

Location: Culham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Culham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Culham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Long Wittenham

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

SU59NW CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD
(North side)
2/30 Culham Station
20/05/75 ticket office
and waiting room
(Formerly listed
as main passenger
building at Culham
Station)

_ II

------------------------------
The entry shall be amended to read:-

SU59NW CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD
(North side)
2/30 Culham Station
20/05/75 ticket office
and waiting room
(Formerly listed
as main passenger
building at Culham
Station)

- II*

Ticket office and waiting room. now disused. c.1844. Designed by I.K.
Brunel for the Great Western Railway. Ashlar stone plinth; red brick
with ashlar stone dressings; Welsh slate roof; to right of centre a
brick ridge stack with diagonally set flue, to rear a lateral stack
with diagonally set flue. 3-unit plan. Domestic Tudor style. Single-
storey, 3-bay range: central bay projects to front and rear, and has
higher coped roof. To right of centre and to left are C19 ribbed doors
with 4-centre arched surrounds. To centre a wood mullion and transom
window with stone surround. Wood cross-window with stone surround to
right. George VI wall letter box. Wood canopy on decorative cast-iron
brackets to all sides; with fretted edging, except to entrance front.
Platform front: C19 ribbed doors with 4-centre arched surrounds to
left of centre and to right. To right of centre a canted stone bay
window with wood mullion and transom windows. Stone slit window to
left. Interior not inspected. History: built as "Abingdon Road
Station", re-named "Culham Station" in 1856. Drawing held by British
Rail. Few of the Brunel-designed stations survive, and of the four
built to this design only Culham remains.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29).

------------------------------------

CULHAM ABINGDON ROAD
SU59NW (North side)
2/30 Culham Station ticket office
20/05/75 and waiting room
(Formerly listed as main
passenger building at Culham
Station)

_ II

Ticket office and waiting room, now disused. c.1844. Probably designed by I.K.
Brunel. Ashlar stone plinth; red brick with ashlar stone dressings; Welsh slate
roof; to right of centre a brick ridge stack with diagonally set flue, to rear a
lateral stack with diagonally set flue. 3-unit plan. Domestic Tudor style.
Single-storey, 3-bay range: central bay projects to front and rear, and has
higher coped roof. To right of centre and to left are C19 ribbed doors with
4-centre arched surrounds. To centre a wood mullion and transom window with
stone surround. Wood cross-window with stone surround to right. Wood canopy on
decorative cast-iron brackets to all sides; with fretted edging, except to
entrance front. Platform front: C19 ribbed doors with 4-centre arched surrounds
to left of centre and to riqht. To right of centre a canted stone bay window
with wood mullion and transom windows. Stone slit window to left. Interior not
inspected. History: built as "Abingdon Road Station", re-named "Culham Station"
in 1856. Drawing held by British Rail. Reputed to be unique survival of this
station design.
(V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29).


Listing NGR: SU5292095276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.